Thursday, March 12, 2009

Sleepy Spring?

Silence. Stillness. Stagnance. Sikes.
Yes, that is the motto of Sikes dorm on spring break - if you can even imagine it being more still than it normally is!
After an initial scare of essentially being trapped in the dorm - because we got no notification by email or otherwise that we needed to put our names on a special list so that our ID cards would still open the front doors (so after finding that our cards didn't work, we were let in by a nice student who happened to be staying here as well, and we just stayed inside or took turns going outside so that one could let the other in) - Katherine and I have been happy buddies this week, usually seeing each other for some amount of time every day (oh, and yes, we did get ourselves on that list - thankfully). All I can say is that I'm glad I know her! It's even great when I stink at video games and she beats me just about every time in every game we play for three hours. Thanks for being a great friend, Katherine. Love you!!
My spring break has been characterized by sleeping in, overcast skies, no Bean food (which has really been a relief, as I've grown quite tired of it), pursuit of personal reading (which has been absolutely glorious), movie- and TV-watching, and half-hearted attempts to actually get some work done (and today I've been the most productive, in that respect, out of any other day so far). It's been very relaxed, but not without a hint of loneliness. I thought it was odd that I should get lonely so quickly, since I like being alone and I will usually take any chance I can get to be in solitude. (Oh wow, I sound like an aspiring hermit.) I think, even with the difficulties of adjusting to life back at school, as compared with Oxford (yes, it's still very hard), I've reattached myself to my friends here, and I was sad to not see them everyday like I usually do. However, all in all, it's been a great retreat, and I'll see them once again in a few short days.
Last night I saw Rebekah for the first time since last Friday. 'Twas great. She, Katherine, and I watched Bend It Like Beckham, which was even better the second time around. Rebekah's been out of town with family, so I've even been without a roommate! This has given me plenty of opportunities to blast music and dance around the room wildly... as if I didn't do that when she was in the room anyway.
My mom sent me a package with a few St. Patrick's Day decorations in it. Since I can't be in Ireland next Tuesday, I figured I'd just add some green to the room with a big shamrock and little leprechaun hats and a mini leprechaun figure for good measure. He even brought some gold with him... chocolate gold...
Oh, awesome news: I got a summer internship with Dry Bones in Denver, CO! I'm extremely excited and I still can barely believe I'm going. Dry Bones is an organization based in Denver that basically builds relationships with the street kids of the downtown area, showing them Christ's love and providing services they may need. I did last year's spring break campaign with them and loved it. This summer, I will be working with a different church youth group every week and getting them connected with the kids in town. It's gonna be great.

I'm a bit behind on posts, so that means I'm behind on quotes as well. Here's a goldmine of them:
"He's being a poopyhead to me!" - Anne
"When I said perfect, I didn't mean 'Son of God' perfect." - Rebekah
"'Cause that's the first thing to do - catch the goat." - David
"'Don't look at the legs!' Look how sexy that chair leg is!" - Katherine
"Ah, my giant ribs. I've always had them." - Katherine

No comments:

Post a Comment