Sunday, July 18, 2010

Thirst

Dear Rebekah,
I'm so glad you didn't fall off the face of the earth! I'd be devastated partly because you would be gone from my life and partly because that would undermine all the arguments I grew up learning about how the earth was most definitely not flat.
I sit here in my room looking around, and I am struck by the oddest sight: four water bottles glimmer their shiny surfaces at me. I realize that I am turning into you. I always need water by my side. As of now, I have:
- a bottle on my nightstand, almost gone, but there to quench middle-of-the-night thirst;
- another bottle on my nightstand atop my current read, completely full and unopened, as I just placed it there to accompany my PB&J sandwich;
- a bottle totally empty on my dresser;
- another bottle not quite as empty as the one on my nightstand, also on my dresser.
I think I may even have one in my purse!
Anyway, I thought that was humorous. So I think I'm slowly morphing into another version of your unquenchable self. Either that, or I'm turning into that little girl from Signs.
Just so you know, I've become a battle-hardened warrior over these past few weeks. Yes, I am accomplished in the art of ant killing. Various outbreaks have occurred in our home, and my mother has taught me well. Armed with a can of Raid, I can do anything. Mostly I just use it to conquer the little buggers, though.
I really enjoyed your little story about your visit to that patient. I am glad that you were able to laugh at yourself for it!
Until next time,
Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment